Monday, April 25, 2011

Birthing Story continued

This is the Farm RD, what you see when you first drive in to the Farm.
I'm sorry this is going to take me forever. So be patient please! My mother suggested that I explain a little bit more WHY is was such a big deal that my boxes and bags were not packed for the Bug's delivery. Again, we birthed at the Farm with the Farm midwives. Several months before my due date, Pamela and Stacey gave me a list of supplies to gather and bring with us when the time came. I'm kicking myself for getting rid of the list, but allow me to list what I can from memory:

sheets - 2 sets (one set should be ones you don't mind throwing away when you're done - and we did throw ours away!)
towels
washclothes
pillows
toilet paper
paper towels
handsoap
pads
betadine
peroxide
hibicleanse
gauze pads
underpads (you know, the big ones that go on the bed)
thermometer
peri bottle
cotton balls
trash bags (lawn and leaf)
container (with lid) for the placenta (What!?)

And of course all the normal stuff:
clothes for us
clothes for babe
hiking shoes
swimsuit 
(no joke, those were on the list)

I know I'm forgetting some, but you get the gist.
Okay, you may be asking, "Why did you have to bring all that?"

This is the cabin where I delivered my daughter. Yep, no medical supplies.

The Farm is not a medical facility. They do not provide the medical supplies. When it came time to deliver, Stacey came with her midwife kit (More on that later) and that's it. We had to pack out all of our waste and dispose of the placenta (also more on that to come). It was imperative that I bring all of it or, I don't know, I guess I'd still be pregnant! Fortunately, most of the medical stuffs WERE packed. You know what I didn't have? The baby's bag! Mom packed up some little ditties that worked temporarily. Haha, and once I got to the Farm, I realized that my suitcase was packed with underwire bras! Really! Who wears those after delivering!

Stay tuned!

No comments: